A little birdy told me you want a website? Well, you've come to the right place!
Before we can get the design work started, you will need to read and fill in this page. This will help us both to get some clarity as to exactly what you need and want from your site, and help us to build the best possible site we can, in the most effective way.
Step 1 - get pinning!
The first thing you should do is to create a private board on Pinterest on which you can pin images which resonate with what you want to create. Fill your board with inspiration for your brand, including: a minimum of 5 logos, 5 colour palettes, 5 patterns and 5 website designs.
Follow me @dehavisuals and invite me to your secret board.
If you can't find anything to pin to your board, feel free to pin from my design boards. When you've filled your board, go through your pins and leave comments on your favourites stating what you like about them.
This will form the basis of your website design.
Step 2 - purchase your domain
Your domain is the URL of your website - for example, mine is www.dehavisuals.com. If you have already purchased a domain, you can give me the details and I can reroute it to your Squarespace site.
- The simpler the better - if you can keep it short and snappy, people are more likely to remember it.
- When looking at options, .com is usually the best for your domain. If you cannot get this, it might mean that someone doing something similar has already got it, so be sure to check. If not, a national one such as .co.uk would usually work best.
step 3 - draft a WEBSITE map
Even if it is on the back of a napkin, it is a hugely useful task to scribble down the structure you envisage for your website.
- What pages do you want? (i.e. Home, Services, Events, About, Contact, Blog)
- What elements should be included on those pages? (i.e. your Home page might have: welcome video, brief intro + link to full About page, block of recent Instagram posts, block of featured blog posts, block of upcoming Events)
- Functionality that you need in your site (i.e. newsletter signup and links to social media profiles on every page, Events listings, specific forms, items for sale etc)
Step 4 - FILL IN our QUESTIONNAIRE
We have developed a comprehensive questionnaire which will form the basis of your new site. Put as much consideration into this and answer it as fully as you can.
The better job you do here, the better the site will be.
Step 5 - Get it all up on dropbox
By the time you have filled in our questionnaire, you will be starting to have a good idea of what you want on the site.
Now is the time to create a folder on Dropbox for everything we will need for the site. All of your text and images should be here. (Please note, if you want to share video on your site, the best way to do this is to share it to your YouTube account and we can embed the video into your Squarespace site.)
Last but not least, don't forget to share your Dropbox folder with us!
We know it can feel daunting trying to make sure that you have everything you need for your new website.
Don't forget that we will teach you to make routine edits to the site, so if you aren't happy with the wording you have provided, you can always change it later.
It is always better to get it out there at 8 out of 10 than to get caught in perfection paralysis and never take the leap!